Wednesday, October 21, 2009

IPDA practice session with the CCSC

I finally got off my can and shot my G17 at an IDPA practice session that the Central Carolinas Shooting Club does every Tuesday at Sportsmans.

I am so hooked.

Really nice people. Excellent instruction. Capital "F" Fun.

I was a little flaky on the first CoF - this being my first time shooting with a timer. I could come up with 4 or 5 other excuses to go along with that one, but let's just say I did not score well. 3 targets at about 10 yards - 2 shots to the body and 2 to the head. 1 reload. My 2nd shots were almost all 1s or 3s and I missed several head shots. Boo.

I calmed down a bit, slowed down a bit, and started getting some zeros on the remaining Standard Exercises. Consistently. Even on the head shots. Go me!

My shiny moment was finishing a strong-hand/weak hand drill (3 targets - 10 yards - 2 shots strong hand - 1 shot weak per target) with zeros across the board.

Many of the Sportsmans and Aim Right team shooters demonstrated amazing speed and accuracy. I've got a lot to learn before I shoot a qualifier. Because oh yes, I will be shooting a qualifier. I gots me a hobby now.

I thoroughly enjoyed the company of the other shooters and had a great time. I've got to get another cover vest though - mine is a little tight across the back and there's no easy pocket to drop a magazine into after a Reload with Retention or Tactical Reload (Look at me with the lingo).

And...practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment