Friday, July 24, 2009

A reply from Senator DeMint's office


From the Office of Senator DeMint

Dear Mr. and Mrs. M,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns over the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you may know, President Obama nominated Judge Sotomayor on May 26. It is now up to the U.S. Senate to determine her qualifications to serve on the Supreme Court. Every Senator swears an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Few things are more central to our duty than confirming Supreme Court justices who will uphold the law and apply it equally for all Americans, not rewrite it from the bench based on personal opinion.

After personally meeting with Judge Sotomayor, I didn't hear anything that eased my concerns about her judicial approach. She was unwilling to say the Second Amendment protects a fundamental right that applies to all Americans, which raises serious questions about her view of the Bill of Rights. Additionally, when I asked if an unborn child has any rights whatsoever, I was surprised that she said she had never thought about it. This is not just a question about abortion, but about the respect due to human life at all stages, and I hope this is cleared up in her confirmation hearings.

Those who serve on the highest court in America must have an unwavering commitment to the Constitution and equal justice for all Americans. Please rest assured, I will continue to review Judge Sotomayor's decisions and public statements and will watch her confirmation hearings closely.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. Please feel free to contact me in the future about any issue important to you or your family. It is an honor to serve you and the people of South Carolina.


Sincerely,

Jim DeMint
United States Senator


Haven't heard anything back from Lindsey yet. Imagine that.

No comments:

Post a Comment