Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Kitchen Gardening

via PrudentHome.com
Clearly, this data is just for one family (of five), one yard (.3 acre), one garden (roughly 1600 square feet), and one climate (Maine, zone 5b/6), but it gives you some sense of what’s possible. If you consider that there are about 90 million households in the US that have some sort of yard, factor in the thousands of new community and school gardens we could be planting, this really could add up. Our savings allowed us to do different things including investing in some weatherization work for our house last fall that is making us a greener household in another way. Some might ask what this would mean for farmers to have more people growing their own food. The local farmers I know welcome it because they correctly believe that the more people discover what fresh, real food tastes like, the more they'll want to taste. In our case, part of our savings helped us to buy better quality, sustainably-raised meat from a local CSA farmer.
Read the rest at kitchengardeners.org

Off to get the soil sample...

The infinitely readable ClubOrlov recently posted this...

and here's a great table - 
- from the grannymillerblog.

2 comments:

  1. You need to read this.

    http://shepardpolitics.blogspot.com/2009/03/hr-875-would-essentially-outlaw-family.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. That is a scary bill.

    I try to look at it this way: If I personally am at the point where I am planting a subsistence garden in the back yard of my .33 acre "estate" in the burbs, I imagine regulations will be the least of my worries.

    On the other hand if I can get that farmland bought in time...

    It never ceases to amaze me that for seemingly any good idea there is a legislator attempting to ban, regulate or tax it out of existence.

    Oh - and thanks for being my only reader - I enjoy the Borepatch immensely. It looks like you've been right prolific today after finishing up with your Wikipedia-ing.

    Nobody f***s with the mouse indeed.

    ReplyDelete